General Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  What unusual ways do you use excel?

Venanite
    Posted 11-10-2022 16:03
    This accidentally came up on a call this week. Someone shared a piece of feedback and I said I was going to add it to my feel-good excel. I didn't realise this was strange until messages started pouring in asking what was a "feel-good" excel. Turns out I have managed to integrate excel into every aspect of my life.

So two questions:
    1. As fellow excel lovers, do you maintain a feel-good excel where you keep positive feedback, recommendations, impressive project metrics, achievements, etc? 
    2. What unusual ways have you integrated excel into your life?

------------------------------
    Olivia MacDonald
    Manager, Financial Systems and Operations
    PwC

• 2.  RE: What unusual ways do you use excel?

Posted 11-14-2022 15:25
    I love that idea of a "feel good" Excel! It's like a very organized diary of all your achievements and something to look at when you need a pick-me-up. I don't currently do that, but something I'd love to start 👀

As for unusual ways I've used Excel - I like to use it to track my workouts! I like to track the weight and reps of exercises, and I track the distance and time for my runs as well! 🏃‍♀️

There are more ways other community members have used Excel - feel free to take a look here as well! 😄

Irene Tang
    Community Marketing Manager
    Vena Solutions

• 3.  RE: What unusual ways do you use excel?

Venanite
    Posted 11-16-2022 10:24
    Dang, I can't believe I missed Jayne's thread! Some great examples in there

Olivia MacDonald
    Manager, Financial Systems and Operations
    PwC

• 4.  RE: What unusual ways do you use excel?

Posted 11-15-2022 10:30
    That's a cool idea :)
    Although I don't keep track of these, I do feel very satisfied when I create a new template or model. It's definitely a great feeling!

As for using excel, as I am a part of organizing a dance festival, I created spreadsheets for figuring out volunteer schedules, organizing airport pickups for artists, scoring for level assessments, etc. I like being organized :)

Alyona zhuravleva
    Analyst
    Rakuten Kobo

• 5.  RE: What unusual ways do you use excel?

Venanite
    Posted 11-25-2022 09:49
    I love this concept of a "feel-good" Excel @Olivia MacDonald! I am starting one now.

I do not have time for this trend, but I am fascinated with spreadsheet artists like 73 year old Tatsuo Horiuchi. Such an unusual highly creative use of Excel! ​

Tatsuo Horiuchi Excel art

Sarah Carter
    Marketing
    Vena Solutions

• 6.  RE: What unusual ways do you use excel?

Venanite
    Posted 11-25-2022 15:11
    Fun/ Unusual Use:

- during the pandemic, we had weekly trivia where the scoring/ leaderboard was on excel

Work Related:

- often export data directly from marketing/ social platforms so I can manipulate the data on excel during analysis

Nick Kashty
    Digital Strategy Lead
    Vena