General Discussions

Β View Only
  • 1.  Investment Waterfalls

Posted 06-29-2022 12:45
    I was wondering if anyone has ventured into creating investment waterfalls in Vena. As a real estate development company, combining our property forecasting with investor level reporting would be one of our biggest potential value adds. We have built this out to some degree in Vena, but would definitely enjoy discussing best practices and lessons learned as we look to ramp up that capacity in the coming year.

------------------------------
    Jake Leininger
    Finance Manager
    McWhinney

• 2.  RE: Investment Waterfalls

Posted 07-14-2022 10:51
    Great Question!

My name is John DiQuattro and I work at Delbridge Solutions. We are a Vena partner and have a lot of expertise in working with REIT organizations.

We have helped many organizations with Investment Waterfalls in Vena.

Happy to chat about it if you have any questions!

John DiQuattro
    Delbridge solutions

• 3.  RE: Investment Waterfalls

Venanite
    Posted 07-15-2022 13:32

Hi @JakeΒ Leininger,

Great question. I asked a few Vena Experts and their feedback was the following...

When creating or doing an investment waterfall analysis (specifically for real estate) - it's done starting with your assumptions, interest rates, occupancy, turnover, etc. It also includes input assumptions such as: the waterfall time period, project time period, lifetime of investment, etc. And from there, reporting/analysis can be done in Vena side-by-side with similar assets, investments, or properties.Β 

In terms of Vena, there are some additional considerations:

• Will we need to retrieve the waterfall details into a different report or template? (If so, each row and column of the waterfall will need to be mapped)
    • Will this be repeated across multiple Entities / Cost Centers? (Will drive the Choosebox setup)
    • Where is assumption data coming from (User input? Additional data source?)
    • Which GL accounts are being impacted? (We'll need to map these to get our bottom line impact to flow into our forecast / plan)

I hope this gives a good starting point for you.

If there are any other community members who want to hop in with their insights on: investment waterfalls, forecasting, or investor reporting - I'd also love to hear about it.

Thanks!

​​

Truman Tang
    Principal
    Vena Solutions

• 4.  RE: Investment Waterfalls

Venanite
    Posted 07-15-2022 13:33

PS -Β @John DiQuattro - Good to see you in the forums! Would be great to share your insights in this thread so other Plan To Grow members can be inspired :)

Truman Tang
    Principal
    Vena Solutions

• 5.  RE: Investment Waterfalls

Posted 07-15-2022 13:44
    Hey @Truman Tang!

I would love to share. Right now the knowledge is​ mostly stuck in some of our consultants heads, but once I have a chance to chat with some of them I will for sure pass the information along!

John DiQuattro
    Delbridge solutions

• 6.  RE: Investment Waterfalls

Venanite
    Posted 07-15-2022 17:36
    Amazing @John DiQuattro. Together we'll be able to create a 'waterfall of insight' for all here

πŸ˜‰

​

Truman Tang
    Principal
    Vena Solutions

• 7.  RE: Investment Waterfalls

Posted 07-18-2022 11:44
    Thanks for starting a great thread @Jake Leininger @John DiQuattro! We are a hotel management company with a portfolio of various brands, investors, and ownership groups, so I'd be very interested in seeing what waterfalls and other graphical breakdowns have been built in Vena. Right now we have several operating reports at the property level, which can also be run for the whole portfolio via report books, but where we are lacking is at the enterprise level. Would love to build some dashboard-like views aggregating the whole portfolio and/or slicing by brand/ownership group.​​

Adam LaHoste
    FP&A Manager
    HRI Properties Inc

• 8.  RE: Investment Waterfalls

Posted 07-18-2022 12:19
    Hi Adam,

Thanks for sharing! Let me look into this and see what expertise Delbridge has with building out some of these reports. Stay tuned.

John DiQuattro
    Delbridge solutions