General Discussions

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Salesforce Connector Usage

• 1.  Salesforce Connector Usage

Founding Member
    Posted 02-03-2022 09:55
    We are looking at connecting Saleforce to Vena in order to bring in some data. What experience might any of you have with the SF connector? Is it easy to limit the scope of what information is brought in? Have you found it valuable? I see a world of possibilities if we could access all our SF data and present it alongside our financials and existing Vena reporting.

Any thoughts around this are appreciated!

------------------------------
    Brandon Combs CPA|CGMA
    Director of Finance - Camping
    Young Life
    Colorado Springs, CO

• 2.  RE: Salesforce Connector Usage

Posted 02-08-2022 12:02
    Thanks for the great question, Brandon! 👍
    Bumping this thread to the top in case anyone else missed it and wants to weigh in on their experience with Salesforce.
    I'll be looking for other members who may be able to weigh in on this topic!

Irene Tang

• 3.  RE: Salesforce Connector Usage

Venanite
    Posted 02-09-2022 10:04
    Hi Brandon,

The SF connector uses SOQL queries to access data, so any data that is exposed to the query language should be accessible. Limiting scope is typically done through the 'where' command of the query.
    Depending on what you are trying to do with your SF data I often see clients create a separate data model in Vena to save data at the opportunity or customer level.

Hope that helps!

Liam Gordon
    Team Lead, Practice Management
    Vena

• 4.  RE: Salesforce Connector Usage

Founding Member
    Posted 02-09-2022 11:02
    Thanks Liam. Follow-up question. I understand that the only data that would be pulled to the cube would be based on the query we write. Having said that, does this mean that Vena corporate still has access to our entire Salesforce database? Or can Vena only see what we grant? The reason I ask is that when you initiate the connection, it asks for your login information and makes it sound like Vena now has access to everything we have stored in Salesforce. I just want to ensure that we are not consenting to share all SF data.

Appreciate you helping me understand.

Brandon Combs CPA|CGMA
    Young Life
    Colorado Springs, CO

• 5.  RE: Salesforce Connector Usage

Venanite
    Posted 02-09-2022 12:52
    You can configure the SF account permissions within SF to be the minimum required to access the data you want to pull into Vena.

Liam Gordon
    Team Lead, Practice Management
    Vena

• 6.  RE: Salesforce Connector Usage

Founding Member
    Posted 03-29-2022 17:50

@Brandon Combs I'd love to hear how this is going for you as we're considering implementing Salesforce.​ While I'm not yet sure what data we might integrate, I'd be interested to hear what type of data you're thinking of pulling in and then how you'd use that within Vena.

Also, thanks for asking that data security question! Always important to keep that top of mind during any integration.

Brendan Eger

• 7.  RE: Salesforce Connector Usage

Founding Member
    Posted 03-29-2022 18:49
    No real headway here. Our IS department was not yet ready to set up proper user permissions for us to access the Salesforce data directly. I never heard back from folks on their experiences. We are also under a massive ERP replacement project, so we decided to hold on connecting to Salesforce until we see what the new ERP setup will bring.

Brandon Combs CPA|CGMA
    Young Life
    Colorado Springs, CO

• 8.  RE: Salesforce Connector Usage

Venanite
    Posted 03-30-2022 09:36

Hey Brandon and Brendan! I work on the finance team in Vena so thought I could share my experience as a finance user. We have used our salesforce integration to calculate commissions on a monthly basis for years and have loved it. My biggest piece of advice is to use a functional email address rather than someone's personal work email to create the connection as you can have some rework if they change teams and their access changes.

Our latest advancement is to bring in customer status and notes from salesforce so we can use them for our weekly collections forecasting. We bring in our invoices from our ERP and then the status field and any notes about the customer to Vena so we can view everything in one place and base our expectations on a complete data source. I have limited salesforce experience so it took me a little time to figure out the scope of data I wanted and how to write the SOQL but it was smooth sailing after that.

My biggest concern with the integration was what if the data I'm integrating is bad (misentered by someone and not verified). We have a few different checks in place to make sure the data has been reviewed by the sales team and the finance team to overcome this, but you can also lock the ARR field after it has been reviewed so it can't be retrospectively updated by anyone outside of finance and this was an important addition for our peace of mind.

Hope this helps!

Olivia MacDonald

• 9.  RE: Salesforce Connector Usage

Founding Member
    Posted 03-30-2022 09:47

Thanks for sharing @Olivia MacDonald! Good call on using a service account type email to setup the connection so that permissions remain constant.

Clement and I are both at not for profits so pulling commissions or customer doesn't quite apply, but we could pull some of our donor information or specific donation amounts/history. With that, I think we could model in Vena how those donations match up against our projected expenses, which could then inform how we make any operational adjustments or target our fundraising efforts.

And yes bad data is definitely a concern for us too. Our Finance team often feels the need to double check the estimates that our Development team (fundraising) share. If we can build good practices and controls into our new CRM and setup an automated flow with logic that both teams agree to, then they should hopefully be able to trust the data on a regular basis.

Brendan Eger

• 10.  RE: Salesforce Connector Usage

Founding Member
    Posted 03-31-2022 14:53
    Hi Olivia,

Saw that you use a weekly forecasting process in Vena.  Does that mean you have your Period Dimension set up as weeks instead of months?  We're currently going through a Vena implementation and were advised to used Months, however our sales forecasting process happens on a weekly basis, especially at the end of the quarter when sales forecasts can jump around frequently.  Could you please share your thoughts on how to set it up appropriately?

Thanks!
    Nick

Nick Tsutsumi

• 11.  RE: Salesforce Connector Usage

Venanite
    Posted 03-31-2022 15:55
    Hey Nick! We do and it works for now but we've been warned that as our transaction levels grow it won't be sustainable long term and we are increasing the number of intersections Vena is being asked to call back. We also have trouble when we want to convert it back into a monthly view to compare to budget because who's to say where week 5 should fall if 4 days are in January but 3 are in February.

Right now our setup is Period is Week 1 - Week 53 and this matches our fiscal weeks as we have a Jan 31 year-end, and then Year is as usual. This is just for one specific data model and all our other data models follow the standard monthly setup.

Olivia MacDonald