General Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  EXCELERATE =SUM(it) | Financial Modeling

Posted 05-02-2022 17:31

Intro Abstract: Discover the skills required for successful financial modeling as well as the 10 key design principles and standards for creating accurate, robust and reliable financial models in Excel. 

Advanced Abstract: Learn powerful tips to check and audit your financial models to ensure accuracy, eliminate errors and instill confidence with your decision makers. 

Get an introduction or brush up your Financial Modeling skills at Excelerate 2022 on May 9 at 3:00 PM (EDT)!

Excelerate =SUM(it) 2022

In this thread, ask your questions for the session, start a conversation, and follow for updates!

#Excelerate2022 #FinancialModeling

​​

------------------------------
    paul Barnhurst
    Director, Finance Sales Operations & Analytics
    The FP&A Guy

• 2.  RE: EXCELERATE =SUM(it) | Financial Modeling

Posted 05-09-2022 16:21
    A HUGE thank you to @paul Barnhurst (AKA The FP&A Guy) for an amazing session today on the Intro to Financial Modeling session, and
    Ian Schnoor of The Marquee Group and FMI for a fantastic session on the Advanced Financial Modeling session.

Links to resources in the Library!

Be sure to follow them on LinkedIn and post your follow-up questions below! 🌱

Irene Tang
    Community Marketing Manager
    Vena Solutions

• 3.  RE: EXCELERATE =SUM(it) | Financial Modeling

Posted 05-10-2022 12:25
    Following up from yesterday's amazing session with @paul Barnhurst, here were some questions collected from the Q&A chat!

1. Is there a good source for case studies on good/bad financial models?
    2. What do you see as the next big thing to learn or must have? Similar to how Excel is a pre-requisite right now to almost any quantitative role?
    3. I've already created a financial model, and it works for me, but others can't understand it easily. How do I know if I should start over or try to fix my current model?

Irene Tang
    Community Marketing Manager
    Vena Solutions

• 4.  RE: EXCELERATE =SUM(it) | Financial Modeling

Posted 05-10-2022 12:42
    Hi Irene,

Thanks for sharing the Questions from the Q&A and helping host the sessions with me. It was a great time.

1.  I am unaware of a case study that walks through good and bad models; I would not be surprised if it exists. However, I cannot think of one.  That being said, the FMI, which offers the Advanced Financial Modeler, has some good sample models, and reviewing these models helps provide an idea of what a good model can look like.  The same is true of other websites focused on modeling, such as Corporate Finance Institute, Wall Street Mojo, Wall Street Prep, Wass Street Oasis, etc.  Most sites that teach financial modeling will usually have a sample model, and these samples can serve as a case study.  I would probably look to these sites for examples of what a good financial model looks like.

2.  When it comes to Financial Modeling and getting a job, the most important things a company looks for will in part depend on the seniority of the position but in general, a modeler needs to have the following skills at a minimum:

- Understanding of accounting and finance principles
    - Understand financial statements
    - Understand Excel
    - Communication skills to work with the stakeholders

3.  Congrats on creating a financial model, and I am glad it is working for you.  This is a tricky question, and I think some of it depends on why they cannot understand it.  If it is due to flow and layout, I would generally recommend rebuilding the model, but each situation can be different again.  That does not mean you have to start over, but it could mean a fair amount of work to get it in a format that is easier to follow.  If it is hard to understand because it is a complex subject and that would not change by rebuilding the model, I would focus on summaries and instructions to make it easier to follow.  Hope that answer heps.

paul Barnhurst
    Director, Finance Sales Operations & Analytics
    The FP&A Guy