General Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  The #nomouseclub - THE Thread to Share Your Favorite Excel Shortcuts #ExcelTips

Posted 04-12-2022 15:18
    Andrew Roth from Vena Solutions here!

In a prior life, I used to spend the majority of my time working in Excel building and maintaining financial models for our customers. I was amazed with how much my excel skills improved, and thinking back, I'd largely attribute the progress to learning and using Excel shortcuts so I could finish tasks in faster and more efficient ways.

I was self-taught in learning these shortcuts, scouring the internet for the most common and relevant hot keys that I needed. Well scouring the internet no more! Today, we are starting the #nomouseclub - the thread to share your favorite excel shortcuts and features!

This thread is all about how we improve together as 'Excel Nerds' so share your favorite Excel shortcuts below, and share any tips or questions that you have so we can all shoot for the stars!

I'll kick it off! Here are my top-three Excel shortcuts:

1.  Insert a Filter --> Shift - Control - L:    When working with large groups of data, filter is my best friend. Instead of having to go into click twice (Data --> Filter) I just select the cell that I want to filter, click shift, control and L,  and voila, I have my filter....2 clicks is around 5 seconds of work in Excel - I just saved 4 seconds (not bad)

2. Insert function arguments --> Control - Shift - A:  This function is VERY underrated. When you enter an excel function like =DATE(, click Control + Shift+A, and it will autofill placeholders for the argument =DATE(year,month,day), where all you now need to do is double click each function and select the right cell. Once you get comfortable, it will help add structure and continuity to your formulas, and make you a better Excel Nerd.

3. Select Row and Insert Row --> Shift - Spacebar -  Control - Shift - +:  I want to go back to the basics for this final shortcut. If you can streamline those repetitive tasks in Excel, you are going to save yourself a lot of time! Selecting and inserting rows (and columns) is one of the lowest hanging fruit that can make you more efficient, and make you feel great about being an excel nerd.

Similarly to insert a row, when inserting a column, all you have to do is click Control + space-bar then click Ctrl + Shift + +. If you want to input multiple rows or columns, click Column Y and you will be good to go!

Well, those are my three favorite Excel shortcuts!

What are some of your favorites?
    ​​

------------------------------
    Andrew Roth

• 2.  RE: The #nomouseclub - THE Thread to Share Your Favorite Excel Shortcuts #ExcelTips

Venanite
    Posted 04-12-2022 17:44
    Definitely echoing your sentiments about the insert filter shortcut (I think you might even be the person who taught it to me when I joined Vena!)

Some other #nomouseclub shortcuts to add to your list:

Alt H I E
    Inserts a new row or column (super similar to Shift Spacebar/Plus, so it really depends on what your hands learn first but I tend to prefer shortcuts that start with Alt)

Window Period

Opens the emoji window. I heard about this shortcut at last year's Vena Nation and while it isn't something you'd need often, it is helpful for punching up a template. So much better than trying to remember Wingding shortcuts for the times you do need an icon

Control Shift [
    Go to the first cell mentioned in a formula. Quickly getting to the starting point can be such a help in larger files

Customising your Quick Access Toolbar
    I always add format painter to my quick access toolbar so no matter what Microsoft tool I'm using, Alt 4 will always mean format painter. I feel like people often don't customise their instance of Microsoft and I cannot recommend it enough.

Olivia MacDonald

• 3.  RE: The #nomouseclub - THE Thread to Share Your Favorite Excel Shortcuts #ExcelTips

Founding Member
    Posted 04-13-2022 09:35
    Hi Olivia,

I live for #nomouseclub shortcuts!

I have to piggy back on one of the shortcuts you mentioned​ though:

Alt + ___ 
    Just by clicking the Alt key in Excel will bring up the other shortcut keys on the excel menu bar for every tab, and then every icon on each tab has it's own shortcut key as well.

For example Alt + H + O + I is the shortcut to automatically size the columns you select, and Alt + H + O + A is the shortcut to automatically size the rows you select. The possibilities are endless!

I hope this helps someone else as much as it's helped me.

Thanks,

Juan Bravo

• 4.  RE: The #nomouseclub - THE Thread to Share Your Favorite Excel Shortcuts #ExcelTips

Founding Member
    Posted 04-13-2022 10:04

Hey everyone,

Love a thread like this. I am a huge proponent in my company of using the CTRL + directional keys to move quickly around a workbook. Scrolling can be so slow, especially when you need to copy things, so being able to leverage CTRL + Shift + directional keys (or HOME/END) makes that process so much quicker.

To piggy-back off of Andrew's filter comment, I also try to make everything a table (CTRL + T) to get the basic formatting and filtering part done quickly and easily. I am totally going steal the CTRL+Shift+A in the future!

Thanks,

Gus

Gus Arndt

• 5.  RE: The #nomouseclub - THE Thread to Share Your Favorite Excel Shortcuts #ExcelTips

Founding Member
    Posted 04-19-2022 12:09
    my kinda thread...

Following @Gus Arndt & @Andrew Roth comments, once you have a table/filter in place, using Alt+Down arrow on a column heading enables you to input criteria. Slightly inexplicably, adding an extra 'e' after Alt+Down jumps you into the search bar of the filter.

@Olivia MacDonald totally agree on the quick access toolbar. That can save so much time/effort, especially given as you say it then creates a personalised shortcut for you with the Alt key. My QAT has filter, clear all filter, pivot table, table, and now format painter! 

​​​

Josh Weinberg

• 6.  RE: The #nomouseclub - THE Thread to Share Your Favorite Excel Shortcuts #ExcelTips

Founding Member
    Posted 04-19-2022 12:14
    @Josh Weinberg I had no idea that was an option! I feel silly now. Thanks for pointing that out. I knew the "e" part, but I've always clicked like a mouser.

Vena makes it less necessary for their templates, but I also like to use Alt + W + F + F to freeze and unfreeze frames on wider tables.​

Gus Arndt

• 7.  RE: The #nomouseclub - THE Thread to Share Your Favorite Excel Shortcuts #ExcelTips

Founding Member
    Posted 04-26-2022 17:40

I know we're talking about Excel here, but I'm also a big fan of short cuts to navigate other apps or between apps. Ctrl + Page up or Page Down help to easily navigate across Excel sheets, but it also works in *some* browsers to navigate through different tabs. I also use Alt + Tab to switch between different programs at least 100 times per day.

Like @Olivia MacDonald I also recently learned about Windows + period to pull up emojis. Sometimes my words just aren't enough and I need to express myself more. I think the shrug emoji is probably the one I use the most 🤷‍♂️

Brendan Eger
    Assoc. Dir. of Information Systems and Analytics
    Partners In Health

• 8.  RE: The #nomouseclub - THE Thread to Share Your Favorite Excel Shortcuts #ExcelTips

Founding Member
    Posted 04-26-2022 18:13
    Oh I also want to add Ctrl + Enter to send an email/message (in Outlook/Teams at least). I just finished typing and now I have to use a mouse to hit send?! I don't think so! (sadly it does not work in these forums... 😥

Brendan Eger
    Assoc. Dir. of Information Systems and Analytics
    Partners In Health

• 9.  RE: The #nomouseclub - THE Thread to Share Your Favorite Excel Shortcuts #ExcelTips

Venanite
    Posted 04-22-2022 16:26
    Hi everyone!

I'm learning a lot of new tips from this thread and wanted to share a great video from our Executive Sponsor, Microsoft, who will be back for Excelerate =SUM(it)!

Joe McDaid, Principal Program Manager at Microsoft Excel, has shared these great tips that you can watch here!

At the virtual conference, connect with Joe McDaid for his Microsoft Power Hour session on May 11 at 4 PM EDT for more insights and best practices from Microsoft!

Jon Paul
    Director, Content & Communications
    Vena Solutions