General Discussions

Β View Only
  • 1.  How do you build high performing teams?

Venanite
    Posted 05-26-2022 16:24

Hope the week is coming along well for everyone!

With Excelerate in the books, a few interesting conversations bubbled up and one of them was about building and nurturing high performing teams πŸ’ͺ.

I've heard in a finance function that team structure and responsibilities are paramount. This made me reflect on the kick butt team I am gratefully part of (yes I am in marketing but this may apply to other functions) and what I think drives our success is...

πŸ₯

πŸ₯

πŸ₯

A clear understanding of the agreed upon goals and metrics! Hopefully that wasn't anti-climatic. I really do believe that we're in sync because of the 'finish line' we are all trying to work towards. This and also a constant strive for effective communication (constructive feedback to build trust, challenging each others ideas and doing what's right for all the great business leaders on plan to grow). Having those two things in place removes a lot of ambiguity and allows everyone to do their best work.

Would love a few others to sound off as I've heard they also have pretty kick butt teams themselves ;) @Brandon Combs

But open to the the good folks here to sound off!

➑️ What are the best ways to build and help your team grow?

​​​

------------------------------
    Truman Tang
    Principal
    Vena Solutions

• 2.  RE: How do you build high performing teams?

Founding Member
    Posted 06-07-2022 16:57
    Thanks for the tag @Truman Tang. I do have some experience in serving on great teams. I start with the integrity of the people. You can teach folks many different skills, but true integrity is hard to come by. I try my best to sniff that out before hiring. My friend and ally @Levi Davis is a great example of this- a man of great integrity and trustworthiness. I have practiced the same in other roles I've held over the years. Failed at it multiple times, but seeking out a person's heart is the #1 principle.

The next thing I'd say is you have to teach and train and make the best of the people you DO have before you try to replace them. There is a story in the Bible about King David, before he was king. He had a following of men that were a rag-tag bunch of hoodlums. It specifically says the distressed, indebted, and discontented were drawn to him.​ But it was THESE men that were later called David's mighty men that performed great feats of war.

My point is, you try your best to pick folks that have great hearts. But you can also call others up into great leadership and skill beyond whatΒ  they are and currently know.​​

When you work together toward a common goal, caring deeply about each other along the way, you will achieve great things and serve well!

Brandon Combs CPA|CGMA
    Director of Finance - Camping
    Young Life
    Colorado Springs, CO

• 3.  RE: How do you build high performing teams?

Venanite
    Posted 06-10-2022 09:58
    Love it @Brandon Combs! 1000% agree - it's all about the people and integrity is a corner stone. Curious to know, how do you 'sniff' that out? Is it a behavioural based question?​

Truman Tang
    Principal
    Vena Solutions