General Discussions

Β View Only
  • 1.  What Motivates You? 🌱

Posted 03-17-2022 11:16

Hi everyone!

I thought I'd ask a fun question to the group to liven things up! What part of your job motivates you? πŸ’ͺ

For me, I'm excited to build this amazing community, network with all of you, and to see new connections being built between our members! It makes me so happy to see community members network and get value from the forum we're building together!
    On a side note, outside of work, I'd have to say my dog (who's a retired racing greyhound) motivates me so I can continue spoiling him with treats! 🐢

I'd love to hear what motivates everyone! Is it working with other experts in your field? Discovering new technologies?

Perhaps it's opportunities to learn and grow! If you haven't already RSVP'ed, I highly recommend attending The Reporting and Analytics Livestream next week where you can hear from leaders at Microsoft, the Kansas City Chiefs and Dresner Advisory Services!

Thanks everyone! πŸ˜„

------------------------------
    Irene Tang

• 2.  RE: What Motivates You? 🌱

Founding Member
    Posted 03-17-2022 14:16

Working for a mission driven organization, Partners In Health, is a huge part of my daily motivation. Although I know nothing about healthcare, I love bringing my technical and financial skills to the organization to help build efficiencies that help our clinical teams focus on treating our patients, rather than navigating unnecessarily complex administrative tasks. My work also provides a lot of variability as sometimes I'm in meetings all day planning for the future of the organization, sometimes I'm building a tool/report, sometimes I'm troubleshooting an error message, and sometimes I'm helping my direct reports grow in their skills. That variability keeps me motivated because each day can be a little different.

I also love spending time with my dog, Marengo, who was celebrating Mardi Gras in New Orleans in the pic below!

Brendan Eger

• 3.  RE: What Motivates You? 🌱

Founding Member
    Posted 03-22-2022 08:48
    Replace "Healthcare" by "Environment" and my response would be similar. Conservation experts who work at WWF-Canada are brilliant and passionate professionals and my motivation is to provide them with the best support so that they can conduct their work in the most efficient way.
    Problem solving and customer service to the other areas of the organization would also be up there on the list.

Clement Marlin

• 4.  RE: What Motivates You? 🌱

Founding Member
    Posted 03-18-2022 08:55
    One of my biggest motivators is the satisfaction that comes with problem solving for my fellow associates. Being able to bring the solutions and efficiencies that I have learned about or built into action for their work lives makes doing it all that learning, grinding, and thinking so much more worth it.

Gus Arndt

• 5.  RE: What Motivates You? 🌱

Founding Member
    Posted 03-29-2022 17:16
    Taking this initial question a bit further, how do you stay motivated when you build something that isn't adopted as widely or frequently as you might have hoped? My team has built plenty of tools/reports over the years and not everything we built has lasted, which can be discouraging, but I'm curious how others respond to those situations. When it happens with one of my direct reports, I try to focus on the learning experience and how even though what they built wasn't used as fully as we had hoped, we learned more about the tool/report we built and the stakeholder's needs so we're at least setup to better tackle the next project!

Brendan Eger

• 6.  RE: What Motivates You? 🌱

Venanite
    Posted 03-31-2022 09:41
    My motivation is to leave things better than I found them, so it links very well with Brendan's add-on question!

When I first started in this position, I found it SO disheartening when (in my opinion) I built something great but then the team had no interest. This was a huge lesson for me that the old adage "build it and they will come" is not always true for a finance team! However, it was a great learning experience. I built something that would objectively save time, but it meant a process change where people knew how to do the longer method in their sleep. Then a colleague taught me about ADKAR; Awareness, Desire, Knowledge, Ability and Reinforce. Now when something doesn't get the adoption I expected, I review those 5 areas to see where did I not put enough attention. Previously I think I only focused on Awareness and making sure they had the Ability.

Olivia MacDonald

• 7.  RE: What Motivates You? 🌱

Founding Member
    Posted 03-31-2022 09:55
    I really like that acronym, especially Desire. We've tried to shift our focus towards collecting better requirements up front which often helps tease out the Desire the team has to actually adopt the thing we're building.

Brendan Eger

• 8.  RE: What Motivates You? 🌱

Venanite
    Posted 04-12-2022 12:22
    As a natural problem solver, I really like having the space to iterate on things. To tie into Brendan's follow up question, if something that I have built is not getting the adoption I want, knowing that I can iterate it based on the data I am getting continues to drive me to make a tool or process that actually works. I like to treat project launches as just another step in the process and not always the end goal, as I know there can always be improvements made.

In addition to that, I have a 23 lb cat that helps me power through my day because I know I need to buy him all the luxuries he deserves and therefore need to keep pushing!

Marina Ho

• 9.  RE: What Motivates You? 🌱

Venanite
    Posted 04-12-2022 16:14
    My main motivation comes from working with a fun, inclusive team and working on challenging, intellectually stimulating tasks.

Min Che