General Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  What was your first non-finance job and/or first job?

Venanite
    Posted 02-18-2022 13:21

Hi all-just a fun question for you. I'll start!

First non-finance job: Writer at a hockey magazine

First job: Baker of big, soft pretzels and gooey cookies at a Mrs. Fields/Pretzelmaker

------------------------------
    Jimmy Huynh

• 2.  RE: What was your first non-finance job and/or first job?

Posted 02-18-2022 13:29
    Love this question!!

My first non-finance job was a co-op term I did at Microsoft Canada as a Marketing Associate
    My first job was actually an administrative associate at RBC (one of the major banks in Canada)!

Really curious to hear about everyone else's first jobs! 😄

Irene Tang

• 3.  RE: What was your first non-finance job and/or first job?

Founding Member
    Posted 03-07-2022 15:11

First non-finance job: Door to door sales of Papa John's Coupon Booklets (In Suit and Tie in Florida Heat)

First job: Deli Stock boy

Christopher Rivera

Christopher Rivera

• 4.  RE: What was your first non-finance job and/or first job?

Founding Member
    Posted 03-08-2022 09:09
    Fun thread!

First job (part-time): Selling cookies, sodas and slushies at a kiosk in the local mall. I, of course, sported appropriate 80's mall-hair. Sadly, they weren't the cookies Jimmy made :-(

Non-Finance Job: Planning the loads and dispatching the long-haul drivers moving household goods. I find this funny as in real life I can get turned around in a closet.

Christine Sawyer CAE
    Director, Finance and Accounting
    American College of Healthcare Executives
    Chicago, IL
    312-424-9391

• 5.  RE: What was your first non-finance job and/or first job?

Founding Member
    Posted 03-08-2022 11:48
    My first job was working at Little Caesar's Pizza in Beloit Wisconsin. We had the only dine-in Little Caesar's in the region, and maybe anywhere, since Little Caesar's prices really don't adequately support a dining room. It didn't last in Beloit, either.

My first "career" jobs before I landed in Finance were in technical theater production and commercial theater management. Lots of different shows, lots of different W2's.

Aaron Andersen

• 6.  RE: What was your first non-finance job and/or first job?

Founding Member
    Posted 03-08-2022 13:44
    I think first non-finance job and first job are the same thing for me, but my first job was as a roofer during the summer between high school and college. I did whatever was needed on the roof or making the daily breakfast run for everyone to the closest McDonald's. The foreman rode me hard all summer and then on my last day, told me he only did that because he wanted me to stay in school and didn't want me coming back to roofing. I thanked him, but ended up roofing again for one more summer break during college.

Brendan Eger