General Discussions

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Name one website you visit for your FP&A, news trends and more

• 1.  Name one website you visit for your FP&A, news trends and more

Venanite
    Posted 11-26-2021 13:50
    Hi all! I have a question for you. When it comes to all things FP&A, where do you go to learn?

What podcasts do you listen to?

What blogs do you read?

Where do you go for info?

And what topics are top of mind when you do?

What are you looking to learn about as you power growth-whether it's personal, professional or business-oriented?

Asking for a friend who wants to add more value for you in that pursuit :wink:

------------------------------
    Jon Paul

• 2.  RE: Name one website you visit for your FP&A, news trends and more

Founding Member
    Posted 11-29-2021 11:34
    This is a great question Jon. I look forward to hearing from others- as well as how you would answer.

• I am a licensed CPA, so much of my learning comes from continuing education.
    • I also regularly consume the news from various sources.
    • I have a CGMA license too. They send a great magazine call Financial Management. I enjoy learning from the articles there.
    • I stay tuned in to the offerings from Vena as well.
    • In the faith-based non profit world, I try to take opportunities to connect with other similar non-profit finance folks to share best practices.
    • I'm not a blog reader.
    • Some of my work requires tracking inflation- certainly top of mind for many of us. I track the consumer and producer price indexes, Federal Reserve happenings etc.. Their website offers such info.
    • Personally, I enjoy learning, teaching, consuming and developing the younger generation through my local church where I serve as an elder.

Hope that helps!

Brandon Combs CPA|CGMA
    Director of Finance - Camping
    Young Life
    Colorado Springs, CO

• 3.  RE: Name one website you visit for your FP&A, news trends and more

Venanite
    Posted 11-30-2021 17:36
    Thanks for your reply, Brandon! It was very informative and definitely helps.

A bit of follow up if I may -  What Vena resources/offerings have resonated with you the most?

For me - in terms of finance, I tend to read/consume materials from publications/resources like CFO Dive, The FP&A Trends Group, Strategic CFO 360 posts on LinkedIn and whatever I turn up from Google searches if I am looking for something specific. CGMA is on my radar as well. I also look to resources from groups like PwC, McKinsey, Deloitte and analysts like Forrester and Gartner.

I also consume the news from various sources. Bit of a news junky to be honest!

Jon Paul

• 4.  RE: Name one website you visit for your FP&A, news trends and more

Founding Member
    Posted 12-01-2021 12:13

I like to attend the livestream webinars when the content is relevant to my role. I also try to jump in on Vena NATION when it occurs. I focus on the technical tracks because a lot of the other is more oriented toward prospective Vena customers.

Brandon Combs  CPA|CGMA

Director of Camping Budgets and Finance

Young Life Service Center

(719) 381-1834

(828) 773-5371 Cell

Email_YLSignature_Grayscale

***Confidentiality Notice*** This e-mail transmission and any documents, files or previous e-mail messages attached to it, may contain confidential and legally privileged information, which is intended solely for use by the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. Any review, retransmission, dissemination, copying, printing or other use of this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you have received this information in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete (destroy) the original transmission and any attachments.

• 5.  RE: Name one website you visit for your FP&A, news trends and more

Venanite
    Posted 12-05-2021 22:01
    Thanks, Brandon. I really appreciate the feedback!

Jon Paul

• 6.  RE: Name one website you visit for your FP&A, news trends and more

Founding Member
    Posted 02-14-2022 17:39
    Similar to others, I see different things on LinkedIn, but in particular I like the content from a few folks on LinkedIn

- Paul Barnhurst is good
    - the various folks in the Business Partnering Institute generally have good topics and links to quite a bit of good information

I don't do much on the Podcast/Video side for FP&A, more general development, though that topic changes over time.

The biggest piece for me is understanding the business and understanding how and why business partners make decisions.

Jeff Kaminsky

• 7.  RE: Name one website you visit for your FP&A, news trends and more

Venanite
    Posted 02-14-2022 20:23
    Thanks, Jeff! This is really helpful. Much appreciated!

Jon Paul

• 8.  RE: Name one website you visit for your FP&A, news trends and more

Founding Member
    Posted 03-04-2022 08:48
    I usually look for webinars or professional development opportunities.  After going to a few your email box will get you more invites - which sometimes are just selling their software, but from my CPA membership there are professional development opportunities - I prefer the on-demand, on-line variety, where I can pick and choose topics that are of interest.  Industry (in my case, charity sector) newsletters and or conferences can be helpful to make contacts and learning opportunities.

David Cornfield

• 9.  RE: Name one website you visit for your FP&A, news trends and more

Venanite
    Posted 03-08-2022 09:29
    Thanks, David! Really appreciate the feedback.

A follow up question for you if I may - what are the topics that currently interest you the most?

Jon Paul

• 10.  RE: Name one website you visit for your FP&A, news trends and more

Founding Member
    Posted 03-08-2022 09:38
    Currently - Enterprise Risk Management; Networking; Team leadership, team building; PowerBI; Performance measurement;

David Cornfield